Lukoil launched the second stage of the Kola Wind farm

Photograph by: Lukoil

After the launch of the second stage, the plant’s capability now reaches 201 MW. The farm options 57 generators and occupies an space of 257 ha.

However earlier the way forward for Russia’s northernmost wind energy plant was unsure after the beginning of the invasion of Ukraine. The preliminary mission operator Italian vitality firm Enel needed to depart Russia after the invasion and the possession shifted to Russian oil big Lukoil. The warfare modified what was as soon as the promising flagship partnership with a number one Western vitality tech firm. In October 2022, Enel reported that the corporate closed the sale of its complete stake in PJSC Enel Russia to PJSC Lukoil and the non-public fund Gazprombank-Frezia for a complete consideration of about €137 million.

After a delay, the development of the farm was performed anyway, however this time by the Russian firm ЭЛ5-Энерго.

“As Lukoil says in its press assertion, the goal era of the wind farm quantities to about 750 million kWh per yr, which can lead to stopping emission of as much as 600 thousand tonnes of CO2 equal. The vast majority of the tools put in on the WPP was made in Russia”.

As Barents Observer reported earlier, the investments into the mission are estimated to be €273 million. The 57 generators had been delivered by Siemens Gamesa earlier than Siemens needed to cease the supply of the generators resulting from sanctions.

The Kola Wind Farm is meant to offer further energy to the Northwest Russian Murmansk Oblast, which right now has about 60% of its vitality from nuclear energy and the remaining 40% from hydropower.

Situated in Kirkenes, Norway, only a few kilometres from the borders to Russia and Finland, the Barents Observer is devoted to cross-border journalism in Scandinavia, Russia and the broader Arctic.

As a non-profit inventory firm that’s totally owned by its reporters, its editorial choices are freed from regional, nationwide or private-sector affect. It has been a companion to ABJ and its predecessors since 2016.

You possibly can learn the unique right here.